Thursday, May 13, 2010

.snippets from ani difranco's "shy"

the heat is so great,
it plays tricks with the eye,
it turns the road to water,
and then from water to sky.
*
i've got a dream of your face,
that scares me awake,
i put too much on my table,
and now i got too much a stake.
*
and i might let you off easy,
yeah i might lead you on,
i might wait for you to look for me,
and then i might be gone,
where i come from and where i'm going,
and i'm lost in between,
i might go up to that phone booth,
and leave a veiled invitation on you machine.
*
and you'll stop me, won't you,
if you've heard this one before,
the one where i surprise you,
by showing up at your front door,
saying 'let's not ask what's next,
or how, or why'
i am leaving in the morning,
so let's not be shy
*
and i roll over and taste the pillow with my grin,
well, the sheets are twisted and tangled,
and the heat is so great,
and i swear i can feel the mattress,
sinking underneath your weight,
oh sleep is like a fever,
and I'm glad when it ends,
and the road flows like a river,
and pulls me around every bend
*
and there's a crack in the concrete floor,
and it starts at the sink,
there's a bathroom in a gas station,
and i've locked myself in it to think.

No comments: