Thursday, November 20, 2008

Love Songs

Love Songs

I can never write a love song,
I can never write a blues song,

When I'm in love I am a lover,
But I have always had the blues.
Guess what, people. I know you all think that Dirtnote sucks balls and everything – as if we give a shit what you think, anyway – but we totally kicked ass at our gig tonight. The crowd was pretty sweet, a few of them even knew a couple of songs and sang along! After we finished doing What I Feel, Naz and I had a little bit of a conversation on-stage, that went something like this:

ME: *overwhelmed that people actually know the lyrics* Jesus, I love you guys. You’re such an awesome crowd to play for – so nice and appreciative!
NAZ: *looks at the crowd* So, who wants to go home with Steph tonight?
ME: *apologetically* Nah, sorry, I can’t do that. I still live with my parents. *crowd laughs* I know, that sucks. Parents… Bleh. But in two years, hell, three, nine, fifteen of you can come home with me! Just hang in there.

We were pretty funny, and I’d like to say we provided some good entertainment. They should give us a Grammy already! Underground gigs are so much fun, but we had to get home early, since Mr. SexyShirtlessDrummer *coughs* is sitting for his SPM, so we ended about 10:30. Still, really good fun, and I loved the crowd, since they loved me.
I am afraid that no one sees me,
What will they say when I am gone,

It occurs to me I think I miss you,
I think I missed you all along.
The Bukit Bintang people are seriously awesome. I mean, they came for our gig, they stood in the goddamn rain for two hours just to listen to us amateurs play music, albeit really, really, really good music, if I may say so myself. And what’s more, some of them had seen us doing those stupid 45-minute sets in PLU and other places (which is how they knew our songs, duh) and at the end, after the encore (oh, oh, we did this one by Jimmy Eat World called Carry You and it was actually okay!) they came right in front of the stage and went:
PEOPLE: *yelling, kinda* We love Dirtnote!
ME: *looks at Naz, freaked out (I mean, these people were in the rain. I so wouldn’t do that, unless it was Amelie or something)* Uhm, thanks? We love you, too. Loads.
RANDOM CROWD OF PEOPLE: (I think they were joking) We wanna have your babies!
NAZ: *laughs (totally unhelpful)* You do?
ME: *grabs Naz* You know, we’re gonna have to think about that. ‘Kay, thanks, bye!
NICK: *pokes me with his drumstick (this wasn’t over the mic)* Say it nicely…
ME: Naz has something to say!

Then Naz kinda had to close down the show, but it was okay. I was freaked out by the sudden fan-dom. One thing I’ve learned from this – I should never be a celebrity.
Out of the corner of my eye,
Not sure if I should think these things of you,

It’s at the wrong place in the wrong time,
I think it’s just my turn to lose.
Anyway, that’s quite enough gushing about how insanely fucking brilliant my band is. Let’s talk about the day before that, Tuesday, that is 18.1.2008. I was in The Star newspaper – front page, if you can spot me, I’ll buy you an ice-cream from McDonald’s. This was during Roger Federer’s meet and greet session. I can’t tell you how much this has affected me, now it’s like; I really need to see Amelie. The world could end the next day as long as I’d seen her run around the court, her hair flying as she hits one-handed backhands into the face of Maria Sharapova and ruins her modeling career (cue sigh from blogger). I mean, come on, I’ve been following Amelie’s progress since late 2006, where everyone was like, “Yeah, yeah, we know Steph has ADD, this will pass.” And I thought it did, until I saw her playing Eleni Daniilidou in her purple tennis dress in 2007, and that was it for me, seriously, no shit, kill Elizabitch Hasselback. Not even Dinara Safina, who, yes, is winning, and yes, is 6”1’ compared to Amelie’s 5”9’, and yes, has a brother who plays tennis, can compare to the likes of my Amazonian blonde Frenchwoman who does not know what the word “buoy” means in English. Complete hotness, indeed.

But thoughts of you could give me smile lines,
I laughed myself to sleep because I knew

We were talking about a fine line,
It depends on who you’re talking to.

In case I forgot to mention earlier, and I just re-read this post, and yes, I forgot to mention, these lyrics are from a Dirtnote song, cause I’m so goddamned proud of my band. I’ll have you all know that I wanted to call it “The Amelie Song, #14” (yes, we really do have fourteen songs about Amelie – more than that, in fact), but Nick and Naz nearly killed me with a pink plastic fork from Ikea (they are such girls) when I suggested it, and since I value my life, I agreed to stick to the safe, somewhat boring title of Love Songs, hoping that Sara Bareilles (and the millions of other recording artists who have songs called Love Songs) doesn’t sue us. Anyway, next gig is hopefully next week, I need the cash for Christmas shopping and spoiling myself rotten by buying myself… *drumroll* a new violin! Or if that doesn’t work out, I’ll have to settle for new strings, which aren’t cheap, either. Thank Ellen DeGeneres that dad pays for them. Plus, my violin needs a little maintenance work. Okay, I’m tired. Post ends right about… here.
If it’s any consolation,
The blues have always had me too,

And if I ever write a love song,
I think I’ll write it about you.

xx,
Steph

No comments: